Legal, Educational, and Mental Health Rights for LGBTQ+ Youth
A Symposium and Resource Fair
COMING FALL 2024
In order to provide access to as many attendees as possible, we have decided to postpone the Legal, Educational, and Mental Health Rights Symposium & Resource Fair for LGBTQ+ Youth. We will send updated event information, including a future date for the event, as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact our office for further information.
This event will uplift and empower LGBTQ+ children and young adults and their parents, guardians, caregivers, and allies by connecting them with community and mental health resources and providing them with the knowledge and ability to advocate for LGBTQ+ youth’s legal rights in school and beyond.
We will have dynamic experts presenting on relevant topics including legal rights in school, bullying, treatment and support of mental health needs.
- Opening remarks on the state of legal fights over LGBTQ+ rights around the country by a law school professor
- Keynote by a trans student and his attorney who took his school district to court over his right to use the boy’s bathroom and won
- Legal and Educational Rights in School by parent and school district attorneys, school district employee, and school violence/bullying prevention advocate
- The Intersection of LGBTQ+ Identity and Mental Health by a mental health provider who specializes in working with the LGBTQ+ community
- A panel and Q+A on experiences and advocacy advice by LGBTQ+ students, parents, advocates, and private school administrator
There will also be a resource fair where advocates, clinicians, therapy providers, and community organizations will be available to talk to participants one-on-one about their experiences and provide valuable information on what is available and where to go to get the help that they need.
- Illinois Safe Schools Alliance
- Prevent School Violence Illinois
- Brave Space Alliance
- Institute for Therapy Through the Arts
- Transformative Justice Law Project
- Youth Outlook
- Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School
- Roycemore School
- City Elementary
- The Moran Center
- Howard Brown Health, Broadway Youth Center
- Constellation Collective
- Northside Parents Network
- Kenneth Young Center
- Youth Services Glenview
- and more!
If you are planning to drive to the event and need parking, click the links below for discounted options. Loyola University Chicago does not own nor control these private parking facilities. Loyola University Chicago does not endorse any parking facility nor accept liability for the use of these parking facilities. Loyola University Chicago shall not be responsible for any injury or for any loss or damage to vehicles, accessories, or the contents thereof caused by fire, theft, collision, water or other causes at private parking facilities.